I am a Professor in the Research Institute of Information Technology (RIIT) at Tsinghua University. I was elected as the New Century Excellent Talent of the Chinese Ministry of Education in 2009, won the Chinese National Science Foundation for Distinguished Young Scholars in 2012,and was elected as the Leading Talent of Scientific and Techinical Innovation of the Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology in 2013,and was elected as Leading Talent of the Ten Thousand Talent Program in 2014. My research interests span broad aspects of Multimedia Communication and Computer Networks. Till now, I have published over 120 papers in refereed journals and conferences and held over 20 invention patents authorized by China governments. Some of my research results have been adopted as Chinese industry standards. In 2012, I won the Second Prize of the State Technological Invention Award as the principle investigator of ‘A Novel Video Delivery Network for Massive Internet Users’. In 2011, I won the Second Prize of National Natural Science Award as the Co-PI of ‘Stochastic Models and Performance Optimization of Computer Network Resource’. During 2006-2011, I was the Chief Scientist of ChinaCache (the largest CDN service provider in China, NASDAQ:CCIH). During 2005-2010，I was the Vice-Director of Ministry of Education & Microsoft Joint "Multimedia and Network Technology" Key Lab .I am also the Vice Dean of Jiangsu Future Networks Innovation Institute.Recently,I serviced as director of Hyperconnection Lab.My CV is available here. (Updated in May. 2019)
Our lab is accepting Ph.D. applications. I am welcoming any students with keen passion in doing research and excellent abilities to work.
My main researches include the following two aspects:
Architecture, algorithm design and system implementation of large-scale media delivery platform. We succeeded in combining content delivery network (CDN) technology and Peer-to-Peer (P2P) technology together, and designed a novel media delivery network based on the hybrid structure. Besides, we solved the problems of resource allocation, QoS control and ISP friend in this architecture. The novel system can significantly reduce operating costs and strengthen its scalability, while meeting user’s QoS requirements. We also proposed TrustStream, a secure video delivery architecture, which takes scalability, heterogeneity, security into account simultaneously. In this framework, we integrated features of video encoding technology, network transmission technology and key management technology, achieving good trade-off. Based on the above research results, we implement a "large-scale video delivery platform", which has successfully been applied in ChinaCache, the largest CDN service provider in China. This platform has provided online video distribution services for lots of large-scale national events (e.g., Premier Wen Jiabao’s online communication with Internet users and VoD service of 2008 Beijing Olympic Games). Our research work in this area was awarded the Seconde Prize of the State Technological Invention Award.
Performance evaluation of Internet applications in China. With the help of the distributed measuring network, using a variety of measurement tools, methods and stochastic model, we can evaluate network performance, monitor user behavior of Internet applications, predict trend and visualize the status of Chinese Internet, which won the second class National Award for Natural Sciences. At the same time, the media platform successfully provided VoD service for Beijing Olympics. Through deep log analysis, I summarized the user behavior and system behavior characteristics of this VoD service, and proposed the concept of Live VoD for the first time. This paper was published on the ACM SIGCOMM IMC 2009.
- Trusted Data Sharing Computing Platform Based on Block Chain Technology, 20192000003, 2018/10-2021/10，under study.
- Tsinghua - Qualcomm Joint Research Program (No. 20173000057), March--Dec. 2017, under study, participant.
- National Natural Science Foundation of China (No.61672318): Research on Data-driven Network Information Plane, January 2017 -Dec. 2020, under study, PI.
- National Natural Science Foundation of China (No.61631013): Channel Modeling Method Based on Big Data, January 2017-Dec. 2021, under study, participant.
- Intercloud Network Interconnection Model and Collaborative Service Mechanism ，2016YFB1000102，2016/7-2021/6，under study.
- The EU 7th Framework Programme international project (No.20143000166)，PIRSES-GA-2012-318939, Cross-Layer Investigation and Integration of Computing and Networking Aspects of Mobile Social Networks，April 2013-March 2017, under study, PI.
- Outstanding Youth Fund Project of National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 61222213): Computer Network Architecture, January 2013-Dec.2015, completed, PI.
- General program of National Natural Science Foundation of China (No.61170290): Research on Deployment Theory of Large-scale Application Layer-covered Network Node, January 2012 -Dec.2015, completed, PI.
- National Basic Research Sub-program of China (The 973 Programs, No. 2011CB302601): Architecture and Mechanism of Multi-scale Virtual Computing Environment System, January 2011-Dec. 2015, completed, participant.
- International Cooperation and Exchange Program of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No.61020106002): Green Network- Theory and Technology to Reduce Network Energy Consumption , January 2011 -Dec. 2014, completed, participant.
- Joint research program with Ericsson (No.20103000489), Peer-Assisted CDN Evolution in Mobile Network, Dec. 2010-Dec. 2011, completed, PI.
- General program of National Natural Science Foundation of China (No.60873254): Research on the Basic Theory of New Generation Content Delivery Network, January 2009-Sept. 2011, completed, PI.
- Tsinghua University-ChinaCache Joint Project (No. 20082000432): Research on New Generation Content Delivery Platform architecture, Basic theory and Key Technology, June 2008-May 2011, completed, PI.
- Preliminary Research for National Basic Research Program of China (The 973 Programs, No. 2008CB317101): Peer-to-Peer Assisted Content Delivery Network: Architecture Design and Theory Research, March 2008-Dec. 2009, completed, PI
- National 863 High-Tech Program (No. 2007AA01Z419), Secure Streaming Media Live Broadcasting System Based on P2P Network, July 2007-Dec. 2009, completed, PI.
- Beijing Municipal Science & Technology Commission program (No. Z080103660801), Research and Development on Internet Video Copyright Protection and Content Tracking Technology, January, 2008-Dec. 2009, completed, PI.
- General program of National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 60473086): Theoretic Research on Application Layer-supported Secure Transmission in Video Multicast System, January 2005- Dec.2007, completed, PI.
Academic & Social Services
- Member of Standardization Committee of the Tenth Council of Chinese Institute of Electronics (2019-);
- Vice-Chair of the First Committee of Block Chain Branch of Chinese Institute of Electronics (2018-);
- Chair of Network Technology and Intelligent Media Design Committee of Association of Fundamental Computing Education in Chinese Universities (2018-);
- Chair of the Internet Technology and Intelligent Media Design Specialized Committee (2018-)
- Member of the Tenth Council of Chinese Institute of Electronics (2018-)
- Member of the Expert Group of the National Defense Science and Technology Innovation Special Group of the Central Military Commission Scientific and Technological Branch (2016-)
- Jiangsu Future Networks Innovation Institute, Vice Dean (2013-);
- Editorial Board of Peer-to-Peer Networking and Applications (2013-);
- Secretary-General of Industry Innovation Alliance for Future Network, China (2012-);
- Adjunct professor of Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications (2011.04-2014.03);
- Selected into National High-level Talents Special Support Plan (2016);
- State Technological Innovation Award, Second Class-A Novel Video Delivery Network for Massive Internet Users (2012);
- National Natural Science Funds for Excellent Young Scholar (2012);
- Best Paper Award for IEEE 11th International Ubiquitous Computing and Communication Conference (2012);
- Tsinghua Academic New Star (2011);
- National Natural Science Award, Second Class- Stochastic Models and Performance Optimization of Computer Network Resource (2011);
- Beijing Science and Technology Award, First Class—Large-Scale Distributed Video Delivery Network (2010);
- Ministry of Education: New-Century Talents Award (2009);
- ACM Multimedia(SIGMM): Nomination for Best Paper Award(2009);
- Beijing Science and Technology Award, Second Class—Fundamental Research on QoS Evaluation and Control of Computer Networks (2008);
- Natural Sciences Award by Ministry of Education, First Class—Stochastic Models and Performance Evaluation of Computer Systems (2006);
- China Computer Federation: Innovation Award—Petri Network and Computer Network QoS (2005).
- Hao Yin, Dongchao GUO, Yongqiang LYU, Peng YANG, Zhiwei ZHAO, Yaoxue ZHANG, Dual-structural network of active defense, SCIENTIA SINICA Informationis, 2018. 11.27，48 (12), 1651-1669.
- Hao Yin ; Dongchao Guo; Kai Wang; Zexun Jiang; Yongqiang Lyu; Ju Xing, Hyperconnected Network: A Decentralized Trusted Computing and Networking Paradigm, IEEE NETWORK, 2018.1, 32(1): 112~117.
- Haojun Huang, Hao Yin, Geyong Min, Junbao Zhang, Yulei Wu, Xu Zhang, Energy-aware dual-path geographic routing to bypass routing holes in wireless sensor networks, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 2018, 17 (6), 1339-1352.
- Qilin Fan, Hao Yin, Libo Jiao, Yongqiang Lv, Haojun Huang, Xu Zhang, Towards optimal request mapping and response routing for content delivery networks, IEEE Transactions on Services Computing, 2018.
- Kai Wang, Hao Yin, Wei Quan, Geyong Min, Enabling collaborative edge computing for software defined vehicular networks, IEEE Network, 2018, 1-6.
- Xu Zhang, Haojun Huang, Hao Yin, Dapeng Oliver Wu, Geyong Min, Zhan Ma, Resource Provisioning in the Edge for IoT Applications with Multi-Level Services, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 2018,10,12.
- Hao Yin; Xu Zhang ; Shuoyao Zhao; Yan Luo; Chen Tian; Vyas Sekar, Tradeoffs Between Cost and Performance for CDN Provisioning Based on Coordinate Transformation, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, 2017.11, 19(11): 2583~2596.
- Hao Yin ; Wei Wang; Xu Zhang; Yongqiang Lyu; Geyong Min; Dongchao Guo, UMCR: User Interaction-Driven Mobile Content Retrieval, ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology, 2017.10.1, 9(1).
- Hao Yin ; Xu Zhang; Hongqiang Liu; Yan Luo; Chen Tian; Shuoyao Zhao; Feng Li, Edge provisioning with flexible server placement , IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 2017.4.1, 24(4): 1031~1045.
- Haojun Huang, Hao Yin, Geyong Min, Hongbo Jiang, Junbao Zhang, Yulei Wu, Data-driven information plane in software-defined networking, IEEE Communications Magazine, 2017, 55 (6), 218-224.
- Haojun Huang, Hao Yin, Geyong Min, Xu Zhang, Weixing Zhu, Yulei Wu, Coordinate-assisted routing approach to bypass routing holes in wireless sensor networks, IEEE Communications Magazine, 2017, 55 (7), 180-185.
- Xu Zhang, Hao Yin, Dapeng Oliver Wu, Geyong Min, Haojun Huang, Ying Zhang, SSL: A Surrogate-based Method for Large-scale Statistical Latency Measurement, IEEE Transactions on Services Computing, 2017.8.3.
- Haojun Huang, Hao Yin, Yan Luo, Xu Zhang, Geyong Min, Qilin Fan Three-dimensional geographic routing in wireless mobile ad hoc and sensor networks, IEEE Network, 2016, 30 (2), 82-90.
- Haojun Huang, Hao Yin, Geyong Min, Dapeng Oliver Wu, Yulei Wu, Tao Zuo, Ke Li, Network distance prediction for enabling service-oriented applications over large-scale networks, IEEE Communications Magazine, 2015, 53 (8), 166-174.
- Hao Yin ; Yong Jiang; Chuang Lin; Yan Luo; Yunjie Liu, Big Data: Transforming the Design Philosophy of Future Internet, IEEE Network, 2014.7.24,28(4): 14~15.
- Hao Yin, Xu Zhang, Tongyu Zhan, Ying Zhang, Geyong Min, Dapeng Oliver Wu, NetClust: A framework for scalable and pareto-optimal media server placement,IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, 2013, 15 (8), 2114-2124.
- Hao Yin, W. Hui, H. Li, C. Lin, W. Zhu. A Novel Large-Scale Digital Forensics Service Platform for Internet Videos, IEEE Transaction on Multimedia, 2012,2, 14(1):178-186.
- Hao Yin, H.Chang, F.Liu, T.Zhan, Y.Zhang , B.Li, Discovering a Large Scale Internet Topology: Complementary and Contrast View, IEEE 11th International Ubiquitous Computing and Communication Conference , 2012,06, Liverpool, UK. Best Paper Award.
- F. Liu, S. Shen, B. Li, B. Li, Hao Yin, S. Li. Novasky: Cinematic-quality VoD in a P2P storage cloud, IEEE INFOCOM, 2011: 936-944.
- Hao Yin, X. Liu, G. Min,C. Lin. Content Delivery Networks: Bridge between Emerging Applications and Future IP Networks, IEEE Network Magazine, 2010.7.
- Hao Yin, X. Liu, T. Zhan, V. Sekar, F. Qiu, C. Lin, H. Zhang, B. Li. Livesky: Enhancing CDN with P2P, ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications, 2010.
- Hao Yin, X. Liu, F. Qiu, N. Xia, C. Lin, H. Zhang, V. Sekar, G. Min. Inside the Bird's Nest: Measurements of Large-Scale Live VoD from the 2008 Olympics, Proceedings of the 2009 ACM SIGCOMM Internet Measurement Conference(IMC),2009,11, Chicago, Illinois, USA, pp.442-455.
- Hao Yin, X. Liu, T. Zhan, V. Sekar, F. Qiu, C. Lin, H. Zhang, B. Li. Design and Deployment of a Hybrid CDN-P2P System for Live Video Streaming: Experiences with LiveSky, Proceedings of the 17th ACM international conference on Multimedia(SIGMM), 2009,10, Beijing, China, pp.25-34. (Best Paper Award Candidate)
- Y. Wu, G. Min, M. Ould-Khaoua, Hao Yin. Modelling and Performance Analysis of Torus Interconnection Networks in the Presence of Bursty Traffic with Hot-Spot Destinations, Proceedings of 14th International Conference on Automation & Computing (ICAC), Brunel University, West London, UK, 2008,9, 1-5. (Best Paper Award)
- Hao Yin, C. Lin, Q. Zhang, Z.J. Chen, D.P. Wu. TrustStream: A Secure and Scalable Architecture for Large-scale Internet Media Streaming, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 2008, 18(12): 1692-1702.
- B. Li, Hao Yin. Peer-to-Peer Live Video Streaming in the Internet: Issues, Existing Approaches and Challenges, IEEE Communications Magazine, 2007,6, 45(6): 94-99.
- Hao Yin, C. Lin, F. Qiu, J. Liu, B. Li. CASM: A Content-Aware Protocol for Secure Video Multicast, IEEE Transaction on Multimedia, 2006,4, 8(2): 270-277.
- Hao Yin, C. Lin, T. Cui, G. Min, X. Chu. Effective Congestion Control for QoS Enhancement of Self-Similar Multimedia Traffic, IEE Proceedings-Communications, 2006, 153(5): 675-682.
- Hao Yin, C.Lin, F.Qiu, X.N.Liu, D.P.Wu. TrustStream: A Novel Secure and Scalable Media Streaming Architecture, in Proceedings of 13th ACM International Conference on Multimedia (SIGMM), Nov., 2005, Hilton, Singapore, pp.295-298.
- R.Liu, Hao Yin, X.Cai, G.Zhu, L.Yu, Q.Fan, J.Xue. A Cooperative Caching Scheme for Content Oriented Networking, to appear in IEEE Communication Letters.
Patents & Standards
- Uniform content label format specification, GB/T 35304-2017，2018.04.01.
- Security Protection Requirements for Content Delivery Network over Internet, YDB 114-2012, 2013-07-22.
- Security Protection Test Requirements for Content Delivery Network over Internet, YD/T 2590-2013, 2013-07-22.
- An end effector deployment and equipment, Patent NO: 201510295684.7.
- A system and method of information interaction, Patent NO: 201610119111.3.
- P2P Network Members Management in Large-Scale Live Streaming Media System, Patent NO.: 200610078852.8.
- P2P Data Dispatch Methods Based on Streaming Media Data Frames, Patent NO.: 200610078853.2.
- A System for Media Resources Acquisition with Related Implementation Methods and Equipment, Patent NO.: 200810224968.7.
- A Method and Relevant Devices for Management of Direct Connection Nodes, Patent NO.: 200810224895.1.
- A Server Transmission Pattern for Live Video Play, Patent NO.: 200810224651.3.
- A System for Media Contents Regulation Based on CDN with Relevant Implementation Methods and Equipment, Patent NO.: 200810224707.5.
- A Selective Encryption Algorithm for Online Video Contents, Patent NO.: 200610078855.1.
- A System for Media Contents Validation with Related Implementation Methods and Equipment, Patent NO.: 200810115700.X.
- A Video Copy Monitoring Method Based on Video Contents with Related Implementation Devices, Patent NO.: 200810223002.1.
- A Video Retrieval Method and System Based on Video Contents, Patent NO.: 200810226268.1.
- A Method of Video Fingerprint Generation and Related Devices, Patent NO.: 200810226269.6.
- A System for Video Copy Monitoring Based on Video Contents with Related Implementation Methods, Patent NO.: 200810227101.7.
- A System for Video Copy Monitoring Based on Video Contents with Related Implementation Methods, Patent NO.: 200810240431.X.
- Dr.Dongchao Guo
- Dr.Kai Wang
- Dr.Bo Yin
- Jiaqing Dong
- Feng Li
- Zexun Jiang
- Lu Kang
- Libo Jiao
- Qin Gao
- Cong zha
- Yuejin Cui
Former Graduate Students & Postdocs
- Changlai DU
- Shi KANG
- Fuhan CHEN
- Tongyu ZHAN
- Lijian ZOU
- Ning XIA
- Dr. Ran Liu
- Dr. Xiaoqun Yuan
- Dr. Xuening Liu (Postdoc)
- Dr. Rui Guo (Postdoc)
- Dr. Qilin Fan
- Dr. Xu Zhang
- Wei Wang